With all the electronics projects I do, I’ve ended up with a lot of very small spare parts that are hard to keep track of. Previous to now, I’ve kept them in a large number of small bags from the supplier, randomly strewn in a box, which made it very hard to know what I had, or find a specific part I needed.
I decided to inventory all the parts into a spreadsheet, so I’d know what I had, and then organize the parts into small vials so I would be able to find the specific parts I needed.
To keep the vials themselves organized, I set to building a case to keep them all in, and 3D printed a number of trays to keep the vials organized and upright inside the case.
Starting with some hobby wood from the local box store, I set to making two halves of the case.
While I was working on that, the 3D printer was churning out a number of small trays to hold the vials.
Finally, after staining the box, attaching the hardware, and putting all the trays/vials in, the box is complete.
And now I know all the parts I have, and can easily find them when needed, in a beautiful custom wooden case.